John Darer® is a well-known structured settlement expert, Certified Financial Transitionist, Registered Settlement Planner, licensed insurance agent and thought leader, who is a 2017 A.M. Best Recommended Structured Settlement Expert
for structured settlements. One of John Darer's strengths is being able to break down complex financial ideas and concepts and articulate them in a way to empower people of any level with the essential knowledge to feel confident to make decisions. Drawing on over 30 years of practical hands-on settlement consulting and financial services experience, John Darer® assists domestic, London market, and other international clients and counsel in some of the most complex cases in aviation, personal injury, medical malpractice, environmental, transportation and maritime, employment, divorce and commercial litigation. John’s diverse background brings a valuable asset to the table for his clients, whether providing assistance at mediation, during discovery, post settlement, or "on the fly" New York CPLR Article 50A or Article 50B projections and analysis, or managing transition stress. Having been certified as a financial transitionist and with in-depth and ongoing training from the Sudden Money® Institute’s Certified Financial Transitionist (CeFT®) program, John Darer® is uniquely equipped with protocols and tools to help prepare and guide you through both life impacting financial decisions and the emotional challenges that are part of financial transitions that can temporarily dilute decision making skills at a critical time.
Education and Professional Certifications and Designations
- Syracuse University School of Management, Bachelor of Science in Marketing
- Chartered Life Underwriter
(CLU®) American College
- Chartered Financial Consultant
(ChFC®) American College
- Certified Structured Settlement Consultant (CSSC)
- Master Structured Settlement Consultant (MSSC), NSSTA professional certification in conjunction with University of Notre Dame
- Registered Settlement Planner. Registry of Settlement Planners Board, in partnership with the Texas Tech University Department of Personal Financial Planning, (now managed by the Settlement Planning Education Center)
- Certified Financial Transitionist (CeFT®), FInancial Transitionist Institute, a division of the Sudden Money® Institute
- Certification for Long-Term Care
(CLTC) Corporation for Long Term Care, Inc.
- Passed FINRA Series 7, 63, 66
Holds insurance licenses in States of AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NY, NV, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, RI, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV and the District of Columbia.
- Florida License: A061450
- California License: 0761076
- Louisiana License: 263021
- Other license numbers available upon request.
- Life Settlement license in CT
Professional Publications by John Darer®
- How Structured Settlements Help Employment Lawyers Settle Better For Their Clients
CT Law Tribune June 20, 2016
- Good Faith Use of Structured Settlements in Bad Faith Claims
Connecticut Law Tribune March 14, 2016
- Structured Settlements Resolution Options in Product Liability and Toxic Tort Cases
CT Law Tribune December 14, 2015
- Medical Malpractice Cases Suited for Structured Settlements
CT Law Tribune November 16, 2015
- The Structured Settlement Secondary Market Fills a Need But ...White Paper
September 1, 2015
- How Structured Settlements Help Lawyers Settle Employment Cases CT Law Tribune June 15, 2015
- Safety and Security as Part of the New Normal
CT Law Tribune June 8, 2015
- Clients Need Help Planning Life Transitions
CT Law Tribune June 9, 2014
- Periodic-Payments Can Be Preferable To Lump Sum Settlement Allocation CT Law Tribune June 11, 2013
- Rigorous Coursework Leads To Registered Settlement Planners
CT Law Tribune May 25, 2009
- Structured Settlements 4Real®
Blog November 2005-present. John Darer® is arguably the most prolific commentator on structured settlements of the last decade by some distance, having authored over 4,750 blog posts in an informative, irreverent and effective style that has earned a consistent readership. Structured Settlements 4Real® is a leading source of structured settlement information, news and expert opinion. Many other settlement and financial topics are covered such as settlement planning issues and ideas, Sudden Money®, life insurance, long term care. The Structured Settlement Watchdog® column offers commentary and exposes that may be helpful to attorneys , plaintiffs, defendants, claims adjusters, judges, the news media, sellers and buyers of structured settlement payment rights and interested others. For more information about John Darer’s pro bono work as Structured Settlement Watchdog®, please click here.
- Talking Settlement™, an online settlement education and talk show launched in June 2016. John Darer is the creator and producer of the Talking Settlement™, the mission of which is to deliver high quality content on a broad spectrum of settlement topics featuring settlement, financial and legal experts from structured settlements, settlement planning, law, insurance, Sudden Money financial transitions, attorney fee deferred compensation for lawyers, structured attorney fees, trusts and elder law, Medicare Secondary Payer, mediations and much more.
- Legal Broadcast Network
October 2009 - May 2016 John Darer® was a featured structured settlement expert commentator and personally developed the content for and appeared in over 105 video podcasts covering a broad range of structured settlement and settlement planning topics, such as New York structured judgments. Many of these videos can now be seen on 4structures YouTube channel
and some here on the 4structures.com website.
- Develop content for, and manage 4structures.com LLC Internet properties New York Structured Settlements, Stable Income For Life
and Talking Settlement™ among others.
- Other Prior publications include the AIA Binder (01/00), "Structured Settlements: You Save, They Prosper" in International Risk Management magazine (2/95) and the Vermont Captive Chronicle (10/93).
Speaking Engagements by John Darer®
- Medicare Set Asides | NBI Workers Compensation A to Z Lewes, DE August 2017
- How Structured Settlements Fit Into a Settlement Discussion in 2017
ALIS Symposium January 2017
- Are Your Clients Prepared for Their Sudden Money® Event? Society of Settlement Planners Tucson AZ March 2016
- The Challenges of Working with Plaintiffs and others in a Sudden Money® Environment ALIS Symposium Jan. 2014
- Long Term Care Planning Society of Settlement Planners Las Vegas May 2013
- Medicare Set Asides Connecticut Bar Association 2012
- Structured Settlements ALIS Symposium Jan. 2011
- Structured MSA SC Carolina Injured Worker Advocates Oct. 2010
- Aviation Section of the Tort Insurance and Trial Practice Section American Bar Assn. Nov 2005
- VA and WV Bar Associations Joint Annual Meeting July 2003
He has been consulted and advised numerous claimants, attorneys, corporations, insurance companies, syndicates, and government entities on issues concerning structured settlements, economic damages and transfer of risk in the domestic, London, French and South American insurance markets.
John Darer ® is a member of
the National Structured Settlement Trade Association ("NSSTA")
and has served on its Branding, Technology, Education, Public Relations, Broker Relations and Long Range Planning Committees. In 2006 and 2007 John was among those presented with the NSSTA award for outstanding leadership and service to the industry. In addition, John is a longtime member of the Society of Financial Service Professionals
("SFSP") , the Society of Settlement Planners, the Aviation Insurance Association, American Association of Long Term Care Insurance ("AALTCI") and was a Charter Member of the National Alliance of Medicare Set-Aside Professionals ("NAMSAP").
John Darer® supports and promotes high standards of excellence, ethics and improved financial literacy by promoting education about structured settlements, the settlement planning process and litigation recovery management to parties in litigation, insurers, lawyers, the judiciary and the maintenance of an accredited professional standard designation for the settlement planning industry. John Darer®'s thirst for learning never ceases. In a desire to maintain a high level of knowledge leadership, John is working towards his Chartered Special Needs Consultant (ChSNC) designation through The American College as part of an ambitious continuing education program.
When not assisting clients, John enjoys boating day or night, golf, pilates, gourmet cooking, traveling, reading, blogging, the arts, is a long time professional soccer fanatic, lover of music and enjoys a variety of other interests, including being a "sommelier of sound" (DJ) and ad copy writing.
"After meeting with and allowing John Darer to handle my settlement, I found that he was absolutely the perfect man for the job! He explained everything in detail, and never once did he leave me confused about what would be happening to my money. I trust him in all things pertaining to money matters, and I call him whenever I have a question about my finances. He is the real deal". Client August 2017
"John is an authentic financial services and structured settlement industry expert who demonstrates integrity and caring for everyone he serves. His dedication to fairness and justice has a mad a difference. John's advocacy and support has spawned revisions to existing state structured settlement protection acts. He is a "best in class" professional who you can turn to when you need settlement and financial expertise" Company executive 2016
"In today's day and age it is rare that you actually find people who are willing to go the extra mile"
" John is absolutely top notch and is a subject matter expert in his field. He is a pleasure to work with, wise and creative" Aviation Attorney 2015
" John is by far and away the best structured settlement consultant I have worked with in over 30 years in medical malpractice" Attorney, 2012